[clug] Subversion for sysadmin tasks

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Mon Jul 31 07:22:07 GMT 2006

On 31 Jul 2006, Robert Edwards <bob at cs.anu.edu.au> wrote:
> >I'm looking to get an idea of some of the best practices that people
> >follow for using subversion (or CVS... or even RCS) for assisting
> >systems maintenance. I'm looking to maintain files in /etc to start off
> >with.

If you're not set on Subversion you might like to try my project,
Bazaar.  It has a few advantages for this:

 - 'bzr add .' will add all new files
 - deleted files are automatically removed at commit
 - just one .bzr directory at the top, compared to .svn scattered
   through subdirectories
 - you can merge direct from one machine to another, without requiring
   them all to progress along one linear branch

On the down side it doesn't merge updates to ownership (yet), though a
makefile to update them would probably do the job.

--
Martin