[clug] MythTV Install links, information, etc

Paul Wayper paul.wayper at anu.edu.au
Fri Jul 28 06:34:02 GMT 2006

Hi all,

Here's the links I mentioned in the talk last night.  The most important
one:

http://www.mythtv.org

That site, especially the Wiki, has a very large collection of
information on installing and using MythTV.  The installation guide
there alone is worth reading even if you're going to use prepackaged
versions because it covers the whole process well.  But there are also
various guides to how to install it on various distributions - the best
I've found so far are:

Debian:  http://www.wilson-stowe.com/mythtv/installguide/
Ubuntu: http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_ubuntu.php
Fedora:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Installing_MythTV_on_Fedora_Core
Gentoo: http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/mythtv/
Via EPIA diskless front end: http://linpvr.org
Knoppix LiveCD front end: http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html

The DVB transport frequencies for Canberra are:
ABC: 205.625 MHz
SBS: 543.5 MHz
Prime: 177.5 MHz
Nine: 191.625 MHz
Ten: 219.5 MHz
Ignore what they say on http://www.dba.org.au.

For Fedora people specifically, note that most of the MythTV
installations, including the redoubtable Jarod Wilson at
http://www.wilsonet.com/mythtv, will set you up to use the atrpms
repository for your packaging.  Atrpms makes most Fedora people
(especially people on the #fedora channel) run for the hills and pack
their shotguns full of salt, silver shavings and wolfsbane, as it has a
tendency to interfere with everyone else's packaging methods and other
rudenesses.  I recommend a slightly different approach that I picked up
on the MythTV users' list, which I will put at
http://biojanus.anu.edu.au/~paulway/mythtv-fedora.html

Please ask me on this address or on paulway at mabula.net (my home address)
if you have any problems or have any questions in getting ready for the
FixFest.

Have fun,

Paul