[clug] Active directory integration

Richard richard_c at tpg.com.au
Thu Jul 6 09:23:13 GMT 2006

Andrew Klemm wrote:

>Was just wondering if anyone has any experience with integrating linux on an sbs2k3 network.  I have fedora core 5 authenticating against the server with samba\winbind, but it seems to be trying to connect to server network shares as "guest".  I can provide more info (config files) if anyone thinks they can help.

I've got a complete Windows 2003R2 AD and RHEL4.2 integration going
here. By "complete" I mean that all authentication is against AD (via
kerberos), and all authorisation/user information is via LDAP (against
AD, but various OpenLDAP tricks could change that very quickly). The
RHEL boxes have registered with the AD domain and are "browsable" from
Windows.

In my network, I login to Linux using an AD/kerberos username.
Kerberised applications (of which there are few) will forward my
credentials to Windows transparently. I think the likely problem is that
the application you're using doesn't understand the authentication
system you've got in place (if any).

I heartily recommend the book "Windows and Linux Integration" (
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0782144284 ); I couldn't have got the
integration done without it. The promised online sections on Win2K3 R2
haven't materialised yet, but I figured out the missing bits (I think).

Richard