[clug] Internal Modems

Colin Roe croe at pcug.org.au
Mon Jan 30 06:47:42 GMT 2006

On Monday 30 January 2006 15:32, Duncan Roe wrote in reply to Brett Worth:
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:00:21 +1100
> From: Duncan Roe <duncan_roe at acslink.net.au>
> Subject: Re: [clug] Internal Modems
> To: CLUG list <linux at samba.org>
>
> For years I used a maestro internal modem (locally made and supported too).
> It simply showed up as a COM port - no special driver needed.
>
> Cheers ... Duncan.

I've had success with 2.4 kernel SuSEs using a PCI card Dynalink EXPO202-B11
that has the Lucent 1646T00 and 1034AH-J chips.

A sticker on the back says 1456VQH-T2 and this
www.dynalink.co.nz/products/specs/1456vqh-t2_specs.htm specs URL says it
works with Linux as well as Windows.

Mine is probably 18-24 months old and so may well have been superceded.

Colin Roe

> On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 04:30:42PM +1100, Brett Worth wrote:
> > I'm in the process of converting all home windows users to linux
> > users.  One desktop at a time. I'm up to 6 so far with only a few
> > hundred million to go.
> >
> > My latest victory over the dark forces that would bind us was my
> > sister in-law.  She's a dial-up user and didn't have a modem internal
> > or external for me to configure.  I've loaned her my old netcomm 28k
> > external modem for now but I have to recommend a modem for her to buy
> > to use on the OpenSUSE 10 system she now has.
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a particular model of internal modem to use that
> > might be available locally?  I guess an external modem would be best
> > but the internal modems are a lot cheaper aren't they?  Anyway I've
> > been bitten before with wifi cards and linux support so I thought I'd
> > ask first this time.
> >
> > --
> > Brett

> > --