[clug] USB storage on USB2 with hubs

Rodney Peters rpeters at pcug.org.au
Fri Jan 27 23:32:26 GMT 2006

Agreed, it's an innovative idea.

AFAIK, performance will be constrained by all the ports on a hub (including
those festooning the rear of a PC) fanning into the same 480 Mb/s bottleneck.
My USB devices never approach that, but I've not investigated whether it's
the VIA controller or bridge chips in the devices.  That translates to 60
MB/s less USB overhead, less USB/ATA bridge overhead, less RAID overhead,
less ATA overhead z..z..z....

I've run into this problem trying to burn a CD image from a USB drive to a USB
burner.

Any chance of adding a Firewire card or second USB card to spread the load
around a bit ?

Rod