[clug] Best way to backup an entire harddisk

Carlo Hamalainen carlo.hamalainen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 01:29:12 GMT 2006

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:12:52PM +1100, Christopher Zhang wrote:
> I have tried G4L (Ghost for Linux), Mindo, etc. Given that the
> current machine doesn't have a burner, if not storing the new image
> across the network, does that mean I have to create a spare partition
> or mount an external harddrive to backup the system?

Mondo can backup a live filesystem and store the ISO images on the same
filesystem so you can burn them later.

I just make an /iso directory and then do

mondoarchive -Oi -d /iso -E /iso <rest of your mondo options here>

The -Oi option says to make ISO images, -d puts them in /iso, and -D
excludes /iso from the backup.

-- Carlo