[clug] A most interesting read, most interesting

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Fri Dec 29 06:19:32 GMT 2006

Randall Crook <rcrook at vtown.com.au> wrote:

> Thats your choice. But not everyone wants that. I for one would rather not
> use my PC for watching DVDs as It can be utilized in much better ways.
> Thats my choice and my way of using my PC. I do understand that each
> person want to use their PCs in different ways, The point I was trying to
> make is that I think apart from the nastiness of the erosion of fair use,
> not being able to copy DVDs or even Playing them on my PC is no great
> disaster.

For you, perhaps. I'd get by if motor vehicles were banned from urban
and suburban use, but I choose to ride a pushbike. That doesn't mean I
don't understand why people drive to work.

Also, if I'm watching a movie on my TV, my computer isn't being used. It
may as well have the movie playing on it.

> If it is for some,  then I really think they need to re-evaluate
> their life style and purpose in life.

People who can't walk or ride to work should re-evaluate their life
style too.

> There you go... Just convenience. You know you can treat you Discs with
> care, and put them out of reach of sticky little finger.  No great
> burden to the disc user. (And yes I have children).

Really? Have they been forced to sit through ten or twenty minutes of
Disney previews yet to watch a movie? That's what DVD players do to your
children. Please, won't somebody think of the children?!

> I must point out that the quote is taken a slight bit out of context.. I
> was trying say that with all that is happening in the world today I feel
> that the actions of MS and the entertainment industries are perhaps not
> the most important things we should be trying to resolve.

It's possible to discuss this while others work on world peace. We don't
all have to dedicate 100% of resources to the biggest problem at the
time. We don't even have to try to work out what the biggest problem is,
which is sure to be an impossible task to begin with.

> I mean, it is just entertainment... you
> wont die if all the doomsaying comes true... you may actually have to open
> a book or perhaps turn on a TV but I doubt you will die a horrible death
> if it all comes true.

Or even pick my bass guitar back up and see if I can re-learn what I've
forgotten.

Dismissing consumers' loss of control over what they've paid for as being
unimportant because it's "just entertainment" is very short-sighted.
Bread and circuses, as the Roman said.

> I am sorry but I diagree.... The creator of any creation should have
> rights over how their creation is to be used or abused. At least for a
> reasonable amount of time. The idea that creators have no rights what so
> ever and society grants them some privileges is abhorrent.

Too bad for you, because that's the way it works.

> Yes it is a bargain, but one that the creator makes with society, not the
> other way round. The other way round is called communism. (I know.... that
> is a massive generalization.

Not a generalisation, just completely incorrect.

> My point being is that the creator should
> have most of the say in what is done.

Why? What do they lose when I hit a button and get another copy of
their work? They still have their copy. They don't get to stop me just
because they're angry that they put more work in than I did.

Ideas are like a candle flame, blah blah blah.

> If it is, what incentive is there for creation at
> all?)

People don't have any inherent right to profit, or any inherent right to
incentive.

That's why copyright exists, and that's the bargain. Create, have some
control for a limited time, then everyone gets it. That's the incentive,
created by society.

> > Have I been trolled?
>
> LOL, yes to a degree. Sorry.:)

Okay, I should stop now.