[clug] transcoding MythTV files to divx or DVD size

Michael Cohen michael.cohen at netspeed.com.au
Wed Dec 13 04:14:44 GMT 2006

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 11:59:27AM +0900, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> (Depending on what you're doing, though, running in native AMD64 mode
> can give a huge performance boost.)

Cameron,
  Have you got any figures on this? I seem to recall a talk in previous LCAs
  which mentioned the performance benefits of 64bit vs. 32 bit platforms, and
  the gist was that it wasnt a given that 64bit platforms are faster then 32
  bit platforms. In fact depends on the work you are doing, it can be worse
  because the code size is doubled (ints, pointers etc are twice as large -
  which means more disk io/memory io etc).  Apparently risc processors dont
  give much in terms of speed. I wonder how much would athelons gain in speed.

  For example, doing a mp3 encode or divx encode, or dnet client?

  Michael.