[clug] PXE netbooting into a Debian Install

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Wed Dec 6 02:55:04 GMT 2006

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 11:04:32AM +1100, Michael James wrote:
> I've got a server without a CD
>  that I always PXE netboot to start an install.

> With SuSE I've got it sussed, copy the CD to an FTP or NFS server
>  and grab the right kernel and initrd into a tftp server.

> How do I do it for Debian?

Grab netboot.tar.gz from
http://mirror.linux.org.au/pub/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/
(or your localler mirror)

Extract it into a directory somewhere, make it the tftproot and
PXE boot /pxelinux.0 from it.

(That's the Etch RC1 installer. I've used it a couple of times,
and it seems to work fine barring issues with the PPPoE scripts.)

Otherwise, grab netboot.tar.gz from
http://mirror.linux.org.au/pub/debian/dists/sarge/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/
for the Sarge installer.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at Pobox.Com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/