[clug] Cabling your home and managing your boxen.

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Dec 5 00:28:56 GMT 2006

On 4 Dec 2006, at 23:17, Paul Wayper wrote:

> I've rearranged my room again and so now my two always-on machines
> (firewall
> and web server) are now sitting out in the open again.

> So what do other people do with their home boxen?  Do you spend the
> money on
> getting an actual rack with power rails and cabling patch panels?

My requirements are minimal - my firewall is a WRT54G, my web server
is a NSLU2. They sit on top of the fridge, and I'm contemplating
going to the extreme of getting a telephone stand to put the machines
on, and cable-tie the cables under the stand, with a cloth cover to
keep the ugly cables out of sight (and make the telephone stand look
a bit nicer).

I'd only spend the money on a rack (and all the associated
electricity consumption) if my machines were going to be earning me
money (and thus I could write off the capital investment as a
business expense).

As for all the other connected items - if you own the place, cable it
properly. Put cables in the walls, and designate some location to be
your patch point. Top of the linen cupboard works just fine since you
have easy ceiling access, and a shelf that your mother/wife/boarder
isn't going to complain too much about losing. Though this option
only applies if you have small computers.

Alex