[clug] linux-friendly mobile/pda

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Fri Dec 1 08:53:19 GMT 2006

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 05:47:38PM +1100, Jason wrote:
[p800 stuff]

> PalmOs can be sunk to linux with a little pain and suffering, I havent tried with the p800 yet.

I used to run a p800 (wore out the touch screen) and am currently
using a p910i, and hoping for a p990i, although the idea of an O2
running Linux [1] intrigues the part of me that prefers working _on_ my
laptop to working _with_ my laptop.

The p800 and p910 support a ppp link over the usb cradle, and you can
then use multisync to talk SyncML to the phone. I had this going for a
while on my old desktop linux box, even had a copy of tinydns pppd and
udev set up so that plugging in the phone on the USB crade would auto-up
the ppp interface to the phone, until I realised that I didn't want or
need a PIM system on my desktop. After all, that's what I had the phone
for. ^_^

The file transfer system used by the Windows desktop program is still
opaque, but someone's written an NFS server you can run on the phone,
and connect to over the same ppp link to get to the filesystem remotely.

On the other hand, the p990 has WiFi built in, so it can prolly talk
to a SyncML system over that without having to muck about on your
desktop system. That's the main reason I want to upgrade to one.

So on the whole, the Sony-Ericsson P800 and P900 series aren't
actually Linux-friendly, but they're certainly aquainted, and not
hostile.

[1] http://wiki.xda-developers.com/wiki/Xanadux

Talking of file transfer...

I tried to usbsniff the data flowing past for file access, but I was
getting all kinds of bad data in the flow so couldn't make heads
nor tails of it. Off hand, it's USB data that speaks a certain USB
serial protocol (documented in the Linux driver source ^_^) which
contains PPP, which contains TCP/IP, which then should contain a
file transfer protocol. If anyone's good with a Windows USB Sniffer,
or has a better method suggestion, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at Pobox.Com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/