[clug] MythTV on TransACT

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Thu Aug 24 11:48:06 GMT 2006

Mathew Meins <sys9000 at tpg.com.au> wrote:
> Ethernet over UTP is no good for a situation like this. Each end of the
> line will be at a different ground potential, resulting in current flowing
> over the copper, which will probably let the magic smoke out of the line
> drivers at each end.

This can happen with two computers in one building, or even one room. I'm
pretty sure ethernet transceivers are galvanically isolated for just this
reason. The days of coax used to be worse, with every machine on the
segment connected to the same physical piece of wire instead of just the
machine and the hub/switch.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au