[clug] MythTV on TransACT

Mathew Meins sys9000 at tpg.com.au
Wed Aug 23 15:17:01 GMT 2006

steve jenkin wrote:

> I *think* that "xDSL" standards by definition are single pair, versus
> the two-pair (4-wire) of 10/100/1000-BaseT.  BTW: 100-BaseT on cat-5e
> cable will deliver 100Mpbs full-duplex over 300m or more... Which makes
> you wonder why Transact did what they did.

G.SHDSL can operate in either single or two pair modes, at 192 kbps to 2.3
Mbps over a single pair, or 384 kbps to 4.6 Mbps over two pairs, in
increments of 16 kbps. So the number of pairs wouldn't be the definiton.

I'm not sure of why a particular standard can and can't be called xDSL.
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they all operate over
"ordinary" last mile copper pairs, however they define that.

Ethernet over UTP is no good for a situation like this. Each end of the
line will be at a different ground potential, resulting in current flowing
over the copper, which will probably let the magic smoke out of the line
drivers at each end.