VPN at UC (WAS: Re: [clug] MythTV on TransACT)

James Ring sjr at jdns.org
Wed Aug 23 01:48:29 GMT 2006

Hey,

> The problem is that I don't understand how to use pptp, and all of the
> documentation generally assumes that I'm dialing a phone number.  For
> some unknown reason, the kvpnc client doesn't work. (Ubuntu Dapper)

The pptp(8) man page has an example of how to use pptp to connect to a
Microsoft Windows VPN server. From the UC website you should be able to find
the IP address of the VPN server as well as the username and password you
have
to use.

Run pptp inside an xterm as root and see what it tells you. If it
successfully
connects, you'll have a network device like ppp0 over which you can route
packets! If this all works, the options in kvpnc will seem less cryptic.

Good luck! :)

Regards,
James
--