[UNCLASSIFIED]RE: [clug] Red Hat linux purchase

Duncan Bolt Duncan.Bolt at anu.edu.au
Fri Aug 11 02:30:41 GMT 2006

The package in question is
http://download.earthdecision.com/

He has just been given a huge budget to buy a computer to run it. He
struggled to spend that much money, but he managed and did buy some sort
of Quad Xeon for it.

He wants Red Hat because they have told him he needs Red Hat. I agree
that we could probably get it to run with SuSE or similar.

At any rate if buying RedHat will give him  a nice fuzzy safe feeling,
then he should buy it. I agree it is more for the support from the
vendor of his package than any technical reason. I just hope they
recommend he installs all the security updates and tell him what to do
when the RedHat support runs out.

Thanks, 30 seconds after sending this email I found a link to the
Academic Ordering site on RedHat, I have pointed him at it, and we will
see what happens.

Duncan