[clug] Need opinions about actions of an intruder...

Leigh Purdie intersect at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 12:52:54 GMT 2006

Agree with Jim.

Your box was probably being prepared for hosting a phishing attack
against ebay users.

They're downloading images & data from ebay so that they can establish
a web server on your computer that looks and smells like an ebay page.
They'll then bounce out a million emails, telling users something like
"Hey, I haven't received my item from you", and pointing them to the
ebay bit of your web site.

This will lead the user through a login process that will grab their
ebay username/password, and ask them to also verify their
paypal/bank/credit card details (whatever they can get away with).

The good news is that the hacker is MOST LIKELY long gone. They've
thrown a script on your box that practically automates the process of
setting up a phising site, and they'll move on to other options, and
wait for the emails to roll in. They're unlikely to care about your
data - they probably don't even know (or care about) the geographical
location of your server. (note: capitalised above, because there's
still a chance they're hanging around, or that they're doing other
nasty things...)

Regards,

Leigh.