[clug] Automatic apt/yum mirror configuration...

Tony and Robyn Lewis beakysnugger at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 7 05:53:34 GMT 2006

Paul Wayper wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've thought of an interesting project and I'd like to get people's
> ideas on potential problems or features.
>
> Basically, the core idea is a website that contains configuration files
> for various apt and yum repositories, located to an IP address range.

apt-spy does some of this already.  It uses the official debian mirror
list, and does some bandwidth tests on them, and returns a sources.list
based on the fastest one for you.

Maybe you could extend this, or use it.

Another thing to check (that apt-spy doesn't, AFAIK) is the
up-to-date-ness of the repository.

Another thing to consider is handling different repositories - not
everyone wants or has ubuntu multiverse enabled, for example.  Maybe
users could paste in their sources.list, and it would parse it, and
return an optimised sources.list that only enables the same
repositories.  Or if javascript lets you, read the file yourself.

Just picking a repository based on geolocation might be fairest for the
mirrors, but will leave some users talking to a slow and/or out of date
repository.  For example, I find Ubuntu's aus archive very slow.  IIRC
it has had problems staying up to date at times too.

Lastly, maybe you could include Gentoo rsync mirrors too, just for giggles.

Good luck.  Sounds useful.

Tony