finding the spammer (was Re: [clug] <your email address> I take that back)

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Thu Apr 20 05:17:52 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 15:08 +1000, Kim Holburn wrote:

> He had an automated system that replied each time I (or anyone else)
> sent an email to the clug list with an email appearing to be a
> response from greylist system and asking me to click on a "special"
> link to verify I had in fact sent the email.  He has been subscribed
> to the clug list and some other lists for a few weeks.

I wouldn't call it a greylist system.  It's one of those stupid
challenge/response programs like TMDA which tries to solve spam by
generating more of it.

> It looks like at the very least it harvests emails from people who
> send emails to the clug list and immediately bombards them with an
> awful lot of emails.  I know this because the sender of the emails I
> sent is not really a valid email and I have never used it before I
> have been seeing a dictionary attack on it on my mail server in the
> last hour or 2.  Otherwise I probably wouldn't have noticed this in
> the normal blizzard of spam and anti-spam in my email system.

Neat.  It could be an infected Windows desktop that is triggered by
received emails.  This is a bit of a problem on the samba list as well
where if you haven't posted to the list before, your mailserver starts
getting hit with viruses as soon as you do.  )-:

Tim.