[clug] Transact TV streaming through linux box?

Sam Couter sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Thu Apr 13 22:28:37 GMT 2006

Luke Fletcher <luke.fletcher at anu.edu.au> wrote:
> i.e. using: vlc myshow.vlc with
> ":sout=#duplicate{dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,url=239.193.0.2:8208}}" as
> the MRL, then watching TV on channel 2 on the STB will show the recorded
> program, but will conflict with the live ch2 transmission unless I
> disconnect the 'red' cable to the marconi box (severing my
> internet/transact connection).

This is a neat trick that I'll have to try sometime. I didn't know it
could be done.

Does the recorded stream continue to work if you only disconnect the
TransACT side of the connection just long enough to get it started, then
plug it back in?

Stated more clearly:
0) Record program.
1) Disconnect TransACT.
2) Start playback, set STB to appropriate channel.
3) Once going, plug TransACT back in. Does the video stream keep working?

I would think that as long as the initial multicast group join is lost
on the way to the world, the real channel 2 stream won't be sent to you.
But maybe the STB keeps sending group join packets periodically, which
would break things.

Not a complete solution anyway, but would reduce network disruption.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.dropbear.id.au