[clug] Transact TV streaming through linux box?

Luke Fletcher luke.fletcher at anu.edu.au
Wed Apr 12 23:13:03 GMT 2006

Hi,

Sorry to those with Motorola STBs (or not transact).

For those with I3s:

Streaming recording playback works great, but having to disconnect the
marconi box from transact to playback to the STB is sub-optimal.
Why? Can't stay connected to the internet/ record tv while playing back.

Has anyone found a way round this?
I was thinking about using a 2nd NIC in my PC and putting the STB
downstream of that.
So normal mode would just be multicast forwarding.
Playback would require my PC to stream on the 2nd NIC while still using
the 1st NIC to record.

Has anyone attempted this? or better solutions (maybe a cheap router
instead of a 2nd NIC)?

The main issues is that the STB can't be changed to look for a different
server so the PC has to appear to multicast from : 239.193.0.2:8208 to
the STB on eth1 while still being able to record from the real
239.193.0.2:8208 on eth0

ta,
Luke.