Fwd: [CLUG] new livecd synopsis/review

freegazer freegazer at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 03:01:03 GMT 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: freegazer <freegazer at gmail.com>
Date: Apr 1, 2006 12:04 PM
Subject: Re: [CLUG] new livecd synopsis/review
To: Chris Smart <chris at kororaa.org>

On 4/1/06, Chris Smart <chris at kororaa.org> wrote:

> [...]
> Hmm.. The modules for full usb hdd access are there, but they are not
> built
> into the kernel. My usb thumbie works just fine. Maybe that internal usb
> hdd
> requires something specific. It certainly won't be able to access the
> drive
> to boot from as the drivers are missing from kernel / initrd. Next release
> have a scsi kernel which includes monolithic support for both scsi / usb
> hdd
> and cdrom drives
> > on another
> > computer it simply fails to pass kernel initialization.
> Any errors for this one? You can pass options to the kernel so if it's
> acpi
> that's dying for example you can disable it with "pci=noacpi" option.
> >on another it failed
> > to start xgl but as it continually tried the system locked up hard.
> Do you remember what video card this was? 0.1 only supports nvidia gf3+
> and
> radeons using fglrx. Radeon dri and intel dri were absent from the cd.
> > on another there were several errors reported by the system pointed to
> the
> > fact that several kernel modules failed to load, once again the error
> > pointed to depmoding and rebooting to resolving the issue.
> This doesn't make sense to me, dunno why it broke.
> > I was not going into detail on these errors ( and still will not) as I
> was
> > not and am not attempting to get a resolution to these problems. I
> simply
> > want people to know they exist and to emphasis that despite this it is
> still
> > a worthwile demo-cd, the installed system may well have solutions to
> these
> > issues
> Ahh.. Ok, well nps, ignore my probes above :) Thanks for the feedback it
> might help me get something fixed.
> >
> >> What monitors were you trying on? Maybe it was the video card? 0.1 only
> >> supports nvidia and ati (fglrx) atm.
> >
> > samsung LCD, ibm LCD, acer CRT & LCD (several models), only one of the
> acer
> > LCD monitors and a laptop screen had issues. As to the Video card read
> above
> > and also add at least one case of xserver bombed out with little or no
> > information in sys logs
> Ok, well I have no idea why that would be as it's hard coded to only run
> 1024x768..
> >
> > Sweet ;) If only I could get fglrx to work without seg faulting the
> kernel
> >> we'd be ready for another release.. :(
> >
> > You said above that you had it working without issue on ATI, fglrx in
> > particular ..... care to amend that statement?
> Ahh.. I can't remember where I said it, but I can re-iterate. ATI fglrx
> works fine on 0.1, but for the next release 0.2 I am having troubles :(

I undestand now that the difference and misunderstanding comes from the
version differences.
< quote >

0.1 only supports nvidia and ati (fglrx) atm.
</quote>
was the original line causing some concern.

Thanks a lot for your emails!

Subscription to mailing lists is both a blessing and a curse :-)
Public awareness of new (and worthwile) distros/livecd's is a process not a
goal ;-)
That was and still is the intention of these communications.
I hope everyone enjoyed it and doesn't put this lot into the spam filters
:-)

--
by ipxodi (156633) on Tuesday August 23, @07:47AM (#13378220) (
http://slashdot.org/)