[clug] IP network traffic monitoring

Tony and Robyn Lewis beakysnugger at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 14 02:37:54 GMT 2005

Mark Davis wrote:

>If it's not too much hassle, why not try a mix of iptables (or chains) and
>mrtg ?

Hassle.

MRTG is great, and would be the underlying tool, but the collecting,
databasing and presenting is not a 5 minute job.  Was hoping someone had
done all the hard work for me.

But I may have found something.  I was close.  There is a front end to
pmacct, pmacct-fe.  Uses horde3, and there are debian packages for
everything except pmacct-fe itself.  Will try it out.

My plan B was to get shorewall to log all, say [SYN,ACK] packets, as
indicators that a session has been started. I could then peruse the logs
as needed.  Graphs are pretty, though...

Tony