[UNCLASSIFIED]RE: [clug] Linux version of M$ Publisher
rcook at pcug.org.au
Fri Sep 2 01:07:00 GMT 2005
On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 16:53:42 +1000
Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au wrote:
> We've been tinkering with Scribus (not the work "We" from where
> I am sending this email) and Scribus works quite well, but is not
> quite so slick as things like InDesign. Feels more modern than
> FrameMaker, although I guess that's not saying much.
> We aren't able to find much in the way of importing, so a lot of
> documents were re-donne from scratch via cut/paste.
> Hoefully I'll have an example PDF to show soon. :o)
Scribus does not support importing Microsoft Publisher documents. There are no current plans to add support for it.
You may be able to import an approximation of the document by following this process:
* Open your document in Publisher
* Go to menu Edit --> Select All (Ctrl+A)
* Go to menu Edit --> Copy (Ctrl+C)
* Open Microsoft Word
* Go to menu Edit --> Paste (Ctrl+V)
* Save your Word document (eg. file.doc)
* Open it in OpenOffice
* In OpenOffice go to File --> Save as in OpenOffice Writer format (eg. file.sxw)
* In OpenOffice with sxw file go to File --> Save as in OpenOffice Draw format (eg. file.sxd)
* In Scribus File --> Import --> OpenOffice Draw file
Alternately, it may be better to export the plain text content from the Publisher document (you can use MS Word to save it as plain text, or you can use OO.o to open a word doc and save an OO.o doc so Scribus can preserve some of the text formatting), then recreate the document from that and the images used in the original.
More information about the linux