[clug] Computer buildfest idea

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Thu Oct 27 08:24:42 GMT 2005

Robert Edwards wrote:

> I support this idea - HOWEVER - there has been a tendency, over the
> years, for good-intentioned people (is that a legal English phrase?)
> to bring along all sorts of miscellaneous pre-loved equipment, disks,
> magazines etc. to CLUG and then leave them there at the end of the
> night. Some of this stuff persists in N101 for months or years at a
> time. Alas, the Dept. does not really appreciate it.

Fair enough!

My thoughts on the whole proceedings were:

* If you bring it, and it's not going with anyone else, you take it home
again.  That goes even if you have to leave early.
* The Charity Computers people are invited along on the day to pick up any
working machines that CLUGgers don't want.  This way they get a whole bunch of
computers in one easy pick-up.
* Also a good chance to demonstrate Linux working on them to CC as an
alternative to proprietary, costing-money type OSes.

I like the idea of being able to put how much we've been able to donate on a
web site somewhere.  I don't think it's necessary to become a second charity
to do it, though :-)

Have fun,

Paul