[clug] Computer buildfest idea

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Oct 27 05:05:29 GMT 2005

I support this idea - HOWEVER - there has been a tendency, over the
years, for good-intentioned people (is that a legal English phrase?)
to bring along all sorts of miscellaneous pre-loved equipment, disks,
magazines etc. to CLUG and then leave them there at the end of the
night. Some of this stuff persists in N101 for months or years at a
time. Alas, the Dept. does not really appreciate it.

So, we need a clear delegation as to who is going to be responsible
for removing the left-overs to the appropriate charity (how charitable
is it, really, to off-load stuff that no one at CLUG is willing to
take home? - it must be pretty bad if no CLUG geeks are interested -
maybe we should pick the good machines and give them to charity and
then take the left-overs home for next time? or maybe buy a brand-new
machine, give it to charity and then keep using the 3 year old machine
that has faithfully served you all that time - or maybe just give the
money for the brand new machine to charity and keep using the old
machine - but I digress...).

Anyway, a swap-fest is good if I am not having to deal with all the
left-overs.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.