[clug] Computer buildfest idea

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Wed Oct 26 23:49:57 GMT 2005

Ladies, Gentlemen, Amorphs,

I currently have about six AT and ATX-style cases, some motherboards, and a
box of network, video and other cards.  Mikal sounds like he has the same
(only probably more so).  I'm sure pretty much everyone here has a few bits
and pieces lying around that we want to go to a good home rather than the bin.
  My plan with my stuff had been to make up a couple of firewalls or simple
machines for my nieces to use.  The rest of it I was going to donate to a
computer charity.

What if we had a day / evening where people brought all their bits and pieces
together and we made as many machines work as we possibly could?  Install
Linux on them (I hear a distro flamewar approaching... :-), contributors take
working machines that they need away, and we give the rest to charity.  This
sure sounds like a better idea than procrastinating about building them
individually.  What do people think?

Have fun,

Paul