[clug] Simple computer forensics?

freegazer freegazer at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 07:40:43 GMT 2005

> Know a good dd command to clone a disk?
> (Don't know if it's FAT or NTFS)

just finished a W2k rebuild using the following command
ntfsclone /dev/hda1 /dev/hdb1

source and destination were identical hardware so no extra options required
ntfsclone is default tool on knoppix 4.02. (also found it faster than doing
similar with dd)
if image file is required clone can do that for you as well.
obviously its NTFS specific.

for the cleaning i would also advise you to look at the free tools from
sysinternals and wininternals
esp 'procexp' and 'autoruns'
fairly mild learning curve if you aren't completely new to mal-hunting
in fact sysinternals tools come pretty close to linux quality ;-)