[clug] Runlevel 5 vs 3 and startx

Mr B jadeba at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 07:34:54 GMT 2005

Out of curiosity, I did some (very rudimentary) tests a while ago were
I logged on remotely and measured loads on the system in various
states.  One of the things I noticed was when the system was just
sitting at the (default) gdm login screen it used almost no  more
CPU/Memory power than if I was in RL 3.

It was a different story once X started and a lot of crap started
chewing resources.  Now if it's something I can do in text mode I just
Ctrl+Atl+F1 and log in on a text window, but the graphical display is
there if I need it (seemingly) without the overhead.  Also noticed
that it unloaded everything when I logged out and went back to the
login screen.  Was just wondering if there is another reason to not
leave it on the login screen or if it's just a hangup from the old
days?

Jade