[clug] openoffice 2.0 spelling issues

Mr B jadeba at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 19:57:36 GMT 2005

This may or may not be the same problem that you are having as I am running
OOo 2.0 on FC4, but may help someone.  I found I could not get the "default
language" to stick as Australian whenever I opened a new document.

To fix it I opened OO Writer and it opens with a blank "untitled"
document.  I then did the "Tools - Options - Language Settings" thing and
change all the settings I could find to "English (AUS)" or similar.  You
then need to save this as a template, by "File" - "Templates" - "Save" to
save it with a filename like "MyDefault.stw". Finally, to make this your
default "File" - "Templates" - "Organize", select "MyDefault.stw" (You may
need to select the "Templates" folder and "Import" - "MyDefault.stw"
first)   and then "Commands" - "Set As Default Template".

Now all my new documents open as English(Australian).  It sounds simple but
it drove me crazy for a while changing it every time I created a new
document.  Not gonna help you though if Debian doesn't have English(Aus) to
start with.  If so, perhaps a good reason to switch :)

Hope that saves someone 10 minutes of frustration...

Jade

PS. [OT] To all those GMail users out there, did you know you can change
your default language from English(US) to English(UK) and when you do it
changes your "Trash" folder to "Deleted Items"...   Very classy!  I was so
inspired I figured out how to do it for my IMAP/Firefox accounts.  No more
American "Trash" for me!