[clug] OCR on linux

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Sun Nov 20 22:53:18 GMT 2005

Brad,

> On Sunday 20 November 2005 23:43 pm, Stephen Jenkin wrote:
> > Found a FC2 reference to 'kooka' - RPM doesn't seem to be in FC3.
> Kooka is a scanning / OCR front end. You still need a backend (like
> gocr or  ocrad, but there is also a non-free option - KADMOS
> (http://rerecognition.com/)).
>
> Given the research in this area, I'm also disappointed by the free
> software  options. Not sure why it is this bad.

Probably because the demand for OCR from Open Source potential
developers is very low. Think of it - developers tend to be computer
literate people (read: geeks) who don't deal with lots of paper
documents.

Given that a lot of OS development is fuelled by the desire simply to
"develop it" or by companies who wish to make a profit in some way, OCR
doesn't really seem a likely candidate for development at all in a
computer, online centric world.

DSL