[clug] Mounting Win XP DIRECTORY in Linux

Peter Anderson pjafrombbay at yahoo.com.au
Sat May 28 03:43:13 GMT 2005

--- Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net> wrote:

> Yes, mount only mounts whole volumes.

I thought that might be the case!

> What you want to do is mount the whole thing as say /mnt/c, and then
> expose that subdirectory at a convenient location.  So
>
> sudo mount /dev/hda1 -t ntfs -o umask=0222 /mnt/c
>
> (or the equivalent in your fstab.)
>
> If you want to make it
> look
> like a whole filesytem for some reason then you could also do
>
> sudo mount --bind '/mnt/c/Documents and Settings/Peter Anderson/My
> Documents' /media/windocs

Martin,

Thanks for your quick reply.  The existing fstab entry (which works)
is:

/dev/hda1  /media/windows  ntfs  umask=0222  0  0

Following your advice, I used:

sudo mount --bind '/media/windows/Documents and Settings/Peter
Anderson/My Documents' /media/windocs

And BINGO! It works.

Now if I could ask a supplementary question; how do I get the 'windocs'
directory to appear on the desktop or more usefully as a top level open
in a 'file open' dialog?

By the way, I hope replying to this e-mail puts the response back in
the  archive.

Many thanks,
Peter

Peter Anderson -- There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.  Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince, ch. 6