[clug] Ominous DRM rumblings

George Bray listoid1 at linkalarm.com
Fri May 27 02:53:33 GMT 2005

On 26/05/2005, at 5:11 PM, david wrote:

> ps I can absolutely vouch for the infiltration of windows media into
> the  TV and radio spheres, its totally insidious and pretty much all
> pervasive

Hahar, but their cunning plan to kill H.264 in the broadcast game has
failed. For a year now MS has been pumping the conferences with how
great their (unfinished) WM9/VC9 is (for ADSL-type TV delivery), but
from what I've seen the industry doesn't believe a word of it. It's
only MS that'll tell you "the whole industry is behind it".

They paid Tandberg a quintillion dollars to drop everything build a WM9
encoder before doing an H.264 one. Typical tactics for MS watchers:
buggy first product, spec changes for future revisions, customers and
industry then need to adhere to MS upgrade/change cycle.  Seen it all
before?  Add the complexity of an unfinished, unsupported DRM model and
you've got Microsoft's vision for how Bill will ruin TV on this planet.

George
H.264 Bigot