[clug] iPod oddness

chris u4123459 at anu.edu.au
Fri May 27 02:03:43 GMT 2005

>>My 1 gig memory stick is an iPod shuffle. I'd like to use it to listen
>>to mp3
>>files loaded from a Linux machine.
>>
>>I'm having trouble with it on my AMDK6/400 box under a 2.4.27 kernel.
>>
>>It seems to mount and work for a while,
>> but soon after I try to copy files to
>>it, I get a;
>>
>>Filesystem panic (dev 08:01)
>>

>My 1 Gig shuffle mounts, reads and writes fine on Suse 9.3.
>Konqueror even has an ipod:// protocol.
>
>I can see the music and settings directories
>  that macs and Windows don't show.
>
>But the only way I know to unmount it is to type   umount /media/ipod
>  as root.  Oh well.
>
>Suse9.3 is proud of its iPod awareness...

My 6 gig mini-ipod plays well with my thinkpad running Debian sid with
customised 2.6.11.6 kernel. Straight after I plug in the device, the
ipod icon appears on the screen and I can even use gtkpod to perform
similar operations itunes does except I can't listen to others' music
from the streaming, however there is a software lets you do that as well.