[clug] Debian testing and sarge

Drew Parsons Drew.Parsons at anu.edu.au
Fri May 27 01:42:52 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 11:16 +1000, Steven Hanley wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 11:05:15AM +1000, Kim Holburn wrote:
> > I guess at some point in the near future sarge will become testing.
> > Now I've never lived through a change like this;-)  I was wondering
> > what actually happens?  Some of our servers now are testing.  Would
> > it be better to put sarge in /etc/apt/sources.list rather than
> > testing so that the machine doesn't suddenly move to sid when sarge
> > becomes stable and sid becomes testing?
>
> You appear a little confused with how you are naming releases and migration
> paths.

> Sarge is the current testing release that is soon to be made stable.

> If you wish to keep using sarge put sarge in your sources.list and when it
> goes stable you will get a few new packages but mostly have the same stuff,
> if you then wish to continue using it you can leave sarge there or maybe put
> stable in.

The corollary is that if you keep your sources pointed at testing (not
sarge), then once sarge is released your system will automatically
upgrade to etch, the next forthcoming version of Debian.

Depends on whether you want a completely unchanging system, apart from
security fixes, which is what stable means (what sarge will become
soon), or a "stabilised cutting-edge" system, which is testing.

Drew