[clug] Help to find adsl

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Wed May 25 23:54:52 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 19:42 +1000, Michael Carden wrote:
> On Tue, 24 May 2005 09:51 pm, Brett Worth wrote:
>
> > If you're in a place where Transact is available...
>
> I use TransACT and http://velocitynet.com.au .

> * up 24/7

Except it's not; Transact has been down perhaps once per month over the
couple of years I've had it, sometimes for a whole day, and with the
support staff often seeming fairly clueless as to what happened and
unapologetic.  If you use the connection for anything important this can
be annoying.

Case in point: "The power went off to one of our centres, and you can't
do anything about that, can you?"  Never heard of redundant supplies or
backups?

If I were going around again I'd probably get ADSL, but the cost and
hassle in switching from Transact doesn't seem worthwhile yet.  (But
another 24hr outage might do it.)

As someone else said, whirlpool can give you more opinions.

--
Martin