[clug] iPod oddness

Michael Carden crash at michaelcarden.net
Wed May 25 10:23:48 GMT 2005

My 1 gig memory stick is an iPod shuffle. I'd like to use it to listen to mp3
files loaded from a Linux machine.

I'm having trouble with it on my AMDK6/400 box under a 2.4.27 kernel.

It seems to mount and work for a while, but soon after I try to copy files to
it, I get a;

Filesystem panic (dev 08:01)

... in /var/log/messages and it remounts itself as read-only.

This makes using it a tad tricky. Does anyone have any iPod/Linux experience,
or relevant Large USB Flash Memory Thing experience that may be brought to
bear?

I have had this happen with 0~80 meg of files on it.

It does appear to work as expected on a Windows XP machine, so I have doubts
about the iPod being the culprit.

Thanks,
MC