[clug] How to gain non-root read access to external HD

Pearl Louis pearl.louis at gmail.com
Sun May 1 08:10:16 GMT 2005

Well, it seems you're right Paul.  It is Hal.  But you don't mess
around with hald.conf, but you have to define a new policy file *.fdi.
 Anyway, does anyone know anything about this?  My test fdi file which
does the innocuous thing of changing the mount point doesn't work - as
in Hal simply doesn't use it at all.  It is in
/usr/share/hal/fdi/95userpolicy.

<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"ISO-8859-1\"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
<deviceinfo version=\"0.2\">
  <device>
    <match key=\"@block.storage_device:storage.vendor\" string=\"Maxtor\">
      <match key=\"@block.storage_device:storage.model\" string=\"OneTouch\">
        <match key=\"block.is_volume\" bool=\"true\">
          <match key=\"volume.fsusage\" string=\"filesystem\">
            <match key=\"volume.partition.number\" int=\"1\">
              <merge key=\"volume.policy.desired_mount_point\"
type="string">OneTouch</merge>
            </match>
          </match>
        </match>