[clug] Debian Sarge or Ubuntu for a server?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed Jun 15 02:41:45 GMT 2005

On 15 Jun 2005, at 12:20, Mick wrote:

> My choice would be to point apt at the sarge repositories and allow
> it to
> update your existing setup rather than rebuilding the whole system
> (s) unless
> you have some compelling reason ...

Rebuilding a system from scratch is a great way to:
  - Make yourself aware of what software you actually have installed
  - be sure that the O/S is a clean, pristine install
  - be sure that your disaster recovery plan is working correctly

Use the upgrade to test the disaster recovery plan by turning off the
old machine and pretending that it was acquired by the secret police,
burnt in a fire, squashed by a runaway truck, or reformatted by your
PFY who was looking for a new WoW box.

Alex