[clug] Bizarre File Copying Problem.

Michael Cohen michael.cohen at netspeed.com.au
Thu Jul 21 13:09:02 GMT 2005

Joel,
  Note that if you use du to tell how much space is used up by a
  directory it shows the amount of space actually allocated on the disk,
  not the total of all file sizes. The smallest amount of space
  allocated on the disk is the filesystem block size. Try:

  echo hi > hello
  du -h hello

  On my system this is 4K. If there are a lot of small files this can
  represent a large overhead and depending on the target fs blocksize du
  will show a discrepency between source and dest. Note that you can do
  this to see the total of the file sizes which should be the same on
  both source and dest:

  du --apparent-size directory

  Michael.