[clug] Slow login

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Thu Jul 14 07:57:17 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 05:53:19PM +1000, Michael James wrote:
> Anybody care to hazard a guess
>  why one of my machines is so slow to login?
> Takes 10 seconds from password to a prompt.
>
> It's not /etc/profile or all the /etc/profile.d/*.sh scripts
>  a debug echo in /etc/profile showed
>  they happen late and quickly.
>
> It's not ssh, setting debug logging
>  suggests that happens early and quickly.
> And the delay happens when "su"ing too.
>
> just shakin' the cluebat tree,

Possibly related to the source of authentication or name services
information. have a look at how pam is authenticating (ldap or some othe
rmechanism?) and see if connections to authenticate are fast or are timing
out to some back up server or something. The same applies to all the nss
information, it may be slow due to problems with pulling it from some other
source.

maybe run

"strace getent passwd $USER"

and see where it is stalling

	See You
	    Steve

... throwing out some guesses

--
Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org http://svana.org/sjh/diary
i can see her features begin to blur, as she pours herself