[clug] GRUB error

Rodney Peters rpeters at pcug.org.au
Sun Jan 30 06:58:19 GMT 2005

On Saturday 29 January 2005 23:00, linux-request at lists.samba.org wrote:
> From: Andreas Bauer <baueran at in.tum.de>
>  Subject: Re: [clug] GRUB error
>  Cc: linux at lists.samba.org
>  Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:24:45 +0100
>  To: Dennis M Gray <dmgray0325 at yahoo.com>
>  Message: 6
>

> Message was signed with unknown key 0x0A273D531140D147.
> The validity of the signature cannot be verified.
>
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 01:34:10PM -0800, Dennis M Gray wrote:
> > Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format.
> >
> > I installed Fedora Core 3 on a spare drive. Now I am
> > unable to boot my RedHat 7.1. I get the above error. I
> > have done a quick search but haven't found a solution
> > yet. Any suggestions at where to start?
>
> While I am not quite sure what is going on and what this error really
> means, I can only state my experiences: I've seen this before with a
> messed up MBR / partitiona table, respectively.  You may have to
> rewrite these onto the boot disk, e.g. using Knoppix.
>
> Andi.

I had the same message when I pointed GRUB to the uncompressed image of my
newly compiled kernel.  Can't quite see how that would apply to your old RH
7.1, but I have found that installation programs tend to mess up when you
declare that you don't want any bootloader installed at all.  Suggest you
boot from a recovery CD and have a look at the statements in GRUB's menu.lst
file.

Alternatively, a successful boot can often be achieved via tab-completion at
the GRUB command line, if you have a floppy or CD that boots GRUB.

> --
> (o_  Andreas Bauer, baueran at in.tum.de, http://www4.in.tum.de/~baueran/
> //\  "Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct,
> V_/_  not tried it." -- Donald Knuth
>

> End of signed message
>

> End of encapsulated message

Rod