[clug] sound device weirdness

Andrew Pollock andrew-clug at andrew.net.au
Thu Jan 20 12:32:43 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 11:28:03PM +1100, Tony and Robyn Lewis wrote:
> a few weeks ago the sounds stopped working on my Debian testing box.
> After much stracing, I see that my sound device is (now?) on /dev/dsp1
> whereas /dev/dsp is a symlink to /dev/dsp.
>
> Apps like rhythmbox only look at /dev/dsp, whereas smarties like xine
> will go through /dev/dsp[0-n] too.  So xine would work and rhythmbox
> wouldn't.
>
> So I relinked /dev/dsp to /dev/dsp1, but I'm not sure what went wrong.
> In the midst I've done lots of apt-get dist-upgrades, and upgraded the
> kernel.
>
> Can anyone shed light?  Sound card is the only one in there, and no
> hardware change.  No noticble change to /etc/modules or /etc/alsa/*
> either.

Are you running devfs or udev? I'm suspecting you may be running udev,
otherwise your /dev doesn't change... It could be a udev bug.

linux.conf.au 2005   -  http://linux.conf.au/  -  Birthplace of Tux
April 18th to 23rd   -  http://linux.conf.au/  -       LINUX
Canberra, Australia  -  http://linux.conf.au/  -    Get bitten!