[clug] sound device weirdness

Tony and Robyn Lewis beakysnugger at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 12:28:03 GMT 2005

a few weeks ago the sounds stopped working on my Debian testing box.
After much stracing, I see that my sound device is (now?) on /dev/dsp1
whereas /dev/dsp is a symlink to /dev/dsp.

Apps like rhythmbox only look at /dev/dsp, whereas smarties like xine
will go through /dev/dsp[0-n] too.  So xine would work and rhythmbox
wouldn't.

So I relinked /dev/dsp to /dev/dsp1, but I'm not sure what went wrong.
In the midst I've done lots of apt-get dist-upgrades, and upgraded the
kernel.

Can anyone shed light?  Sound card is the only one in there, and no
hardware change.  No noticble change to /etc/modules or /etc/alsa/*
either.

Any gotchyas with my workaround (relinking)?

Tony

--
Tony and Robyn Lewis <beakysnugger at yahoo.co.uk>