[clug] XFree 4 and Compaq badged S3 Virge GX fun

Paul Hampson Paul.Hampson at anu.edu.au
Mon Jan 10 06:34:28 GMT 2005

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 03:02:08PM +1100, Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au wrote:
> I recently rebuilt a Compaq Deskpro 4000 for someone and had
> all sorts of grief getting the video working under X.
>
> The easy part was identifying the "Compaq" video card by peeling off
> a bar-code to reveal the S3 logo and chipset number (also, the Compaq
> NIC is a re-badged TLAN).
>
> Even so, the XFree4 (4.1) S3 Virge driver "s3virge" seems to suck . I got
> colours and an intelligible display by switching off just about every
> card feature. But with everything switched off, I still got flickering
> and pixel corruption (especially when moving windows).
>
> When I ran out of things to switch off, I used the vesa driver instead.
> This works well, but is presumably not as nice as using a specific driver.
>
> Is this normal for the S3 Virge? Or a feature of the Compaq implementation?

I also had similar problems with an S3 Virge and a similar aged driver
(around 2001~2002) and ended up with the Vesa driver. Since it was a
headless fileserver/gateway, I never worried about it, and never found
out if more recent XF86 showed any improvement.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson at Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.