[clug] migrating raid0 from 2.4 to 2.6

Pietro Abate Pietro.Abate at anu.edu.au
Sun Feb 20 03:18:31 GMT 2005

Hi all,
I've this small problem.

I've two sata hds on my box that I run on sw raid0. With 2.4 all sata
disks are detected as hd? . Now I want to move to the 2.6 kernel, but
as they changed the sata modules (sata disks are detected as sd? ), I'm
not able to migrate my raid array. I've tried to boot the new kernel
with md=0,/dev/sda1,/dev/sdb1 but - I don't know why - the raid array
still remembers that it has to look for /dev/hdc1 and /dev/hdd1 ... Is
this information stored on the disk boot sector ?

How can I convince it to do the right thing ? I'm pretty "scared" of
booting only from one device and to rebuild the array from scratch as I
don't have that much time and most importantly, I don't have a full
backup...

googling around doesn't help ... :(

thanks,

++ WebBlog/Diary: http://blog.rsise.anu.edu.au/?q=pietro
++
++ "All great truths begin as blasphemies." -George Bernard Shaw
++ Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.