[clug] MS Access Replacement

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Sun Feb 20 02:52:58 GMT 2005

On Monday 14 February 2005 00:52, Jay Mutter wrote:
> Rasjid;
>
> I recently read a post you made some time ago about a crossplatform
> replacement for MS-Access.
> I am wondering if you have found or settled on any particular system??

I looked briefly at OpenOffice and at Rekall.

At the time that I looked, Rekall was not free on Windows.  But with Qt for
Windows now with a GPL licence option (http://www.trolltech.com/newsroom/
announcements/00000192.html), perhaps that has/will change.

OpenOffice (even the current version) can do some form/report stuff, but was
not completely trivial to get going.  But not impossible either.  The next
version of OpenOffice should be better.

But in the end I decided that I would settle on Python/wxPython and possible
some other middle layer (such as http://dabodev.com/), which is not really a
MS-Access replacement at all, but more a VB/Access backend replacement.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--
Rasjid Wilcox