[clug] Re: OT: personal recommendations for TPG ISP

Tony and Robyn Lewis lewis at tonyandrobyn.com
Tue Feb 15 09:29:57 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 00:01 +1100, Tony and Robyn Lewis wrote:
> I'm thinking of getting off TransACT and going for TPG's 1.5M/256k
> service, and I'm after first hand evidence of their quality.

Just thought I'd give some feedback.

Well, I've gone for it.  1.5Mbps of rich creamy goodness.  Mmmmmm.

The process went well except for Telstra reporting some fictional fault
with the line.  TPG process was timely and smooth.

The D-Link DSL-200 does the job.  The driver comes from the Nortek
version from http://eciadsl.flashtux.org, and runs in userspace.  The
installation was a little different to any documentation, and it chews
some CPU when it's initialising.  I've only had it running fulltime for
a day or so, but I assume it's stable.

Foolishly I ordered the ADSL microfilter from TPG, for $20.  I hunted
online but couldn't find anything cheaper.  Not only did the DSL-200
come with one, but I then saw them for $5 at the computer fair :(

So, so far, I can recommend them, but it's early days yet.

Tony