[clug] icmp from 172.31.*.*

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Aug 16 20:53:01 GMT 2005

On 17 Aug 2005, at 00:26, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:

> I note that my firewall regularly blocks icmp from this (reserved)
> subnet,
> sometimes a few per minute, sometimes none for hours.

Those addresses are usually part of Telstra's internal network - the
bit between the Internet and your ADSL connection. If you do a
traceroute from any Telstra-serviced ADSL connection, you'll find
that the first few hops are through reserved subnets. This is not
true for ADSL purchased wholesale from Telstra and resold through
your ISP, since the packets transiting Telstra's private networks are
L2TP, and the "next hop" as far as your connection is concerned, is
your ISP's L2TP end point.

What is the purpose of this ICMP traffic? I don't know.

Alex Satrapa             M: +61 4 0770 5332
grail at goldweb.com.au     W: http://homepage.mac.com/alexsatrapa