[clug] web server not serving pages to the internet (resolved - sort of)

Boris Rousak linworld21 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 16 02:02:18 GMT 2005

Okies,

The mail and web server are in fact 1 box, but thanx
for the suggestion all the same.

The problem turned out to be as follows. DynDNS has a
protocol where by any user who "updates" their details
too often gets booted off the server. While I use to
use ddclient i had no probs, but the stupid netgear
box, does not conform to the standard and updates way
too often (traffic snoop suggests at least once a week
plus after any firmware update). So after dyndns
booted me, its no wonder the web part of it woudn't
work. I suspect the reason mail kept going is because
I only get email from the same set of domains (mostly)
- so they must have cached my address (can people
confirm similar behaviour). To boot, the
port-forwarding on the device forwarded port 80 TCP
packets randomly - as in i could watch myself send
first SYN and get reply  but then nothing gets through
- not sure if this is a failure on the part of the
firmware, but the problem did fix itself after an
upgrade.

So the final note seems to be that basic netgear OS or
whatever is useless. I suppose I'll try and install
Linux onto it and stick to IP tables :)

Cheer
Boris