[clug] Replacing laptop hdds

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Thu Aug 4 15:52:47 GMT 2005

Hi,

I've got a laptop which, when using smartctl shows the following:

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE     UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0012   022   022   050    Old_age  Always   FAILING_NOW 784732

The value steadily decreases, I expect it to hit zero in a few weeks.
However, I can't find any details about what this attribute means or
whether it's really fatal. It's behaving normally, no kernel error
messages. It's had 2279 power cycles and has been on for 11290 hours
(470 days) all up.

Anyway, it's a Dell Inspiron 4000, I was wondering if anyone had
upgraded/replaced the hard drive in their laptop and if it's easy
enough to do with just a screwdriver. The comments on the web seem
simple enough.

As an aside, I just had a brand new hard disk die on me, just after
accedently setting it and the other disk on the same chain both as
master at the same time. I've never had that happen to me before,
fluke, or something else?

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/